So far Mack has been so sweet. I plan to never put him down!! We can't really tell who he looks like, he just looks like one of ours. He has very little hair and is the smallest baby we have ever brought home! He is a good little eater and sleeper and loves to cuddle. My recovery has been awesome and I feel great (granted my mom has Griffin and Leo right now). The few times we went somewhere with all four kids, we realized that four kids seems like way more than three!! I hope we survive.
We love you all! Enjoy the attached pictures and story.
Love,
Lisa
Generally it's my job to write the birth email update and Lisa says once again I have to get it done. Don't expect too much. It seems like a lifetime ago and I'm so tired so my memories are vague and blurry.
Most of you know Lisa is dilated for a pretty long period of time. 3 weeks ago the midwife told her if she had 5-6 contractions per hour that she should let them know....her response was, "I've been doing that for a month". Then they just smile at her. Weird. On lisa's birthday (16th nov) she was there again and the whole time had contractions. The midwife told her if they got any worse she should go to the hospital. Lisa generally goes quick and she tested positive for strep B, so we didn't want to show up too late.
Lisa must have called me 20 times that day telling me she might be coming soon. It finally happened that night. She gave me a call and I asked if she would grab my computer cord (so I could do my duty and write this email). She didn't bring it so that's why we're getting this delayed email. We went to the hospital and they checked her and she hadn't changed much since that morning....contractions weren't doing anything. Of course, they keep you for observation for a couple of hours and check you on the hour.
We walked about 50 miles down the 100 yard hall way. At the end of the hall their was a chair. I'd pass out in the chair for about 5 minutes each time we got there and lisa would do squats and lunges trying to make something happen. She even jogged. Turns out the lunges and walking did nothing, but at least Lisa looked amazing in the really fashionable robe they give you at the hospital. It was only sort of see through.....do they ever buy new ones?
After 2 hours of walking, her midwife checked her and pretty much told her nothing was happening. Not labor contractions. This is where it got good....well lisa got good with the sales pitch of a life time. It could have only gotten any better if I had started playing some depressing music on my iphone for the background. The midwife asked lisa what she thought should happen and she gave her a bunch of reasons why she should stay including the strep b, she wanted to kill everyone, and best of all thoughts of leaving the hospital was already making her cry. it really was amazing that the midwife actually listened to what lisa had to say because generally no one cares what you think. I think it's interesting I hear all the time we should take control of our medical help by knowing what's going on and why, but if you ask questions the doctor is pretty much mad at you.
Checking in was pretty fun. The nurse asking questions was talking really....really.....really fast. Or it's possible lisa is deaf, but I think it was the nurse in this case. Lisa must have said what at least 50 times. I finally joined in on answering the questions.
After checking in midwife jen said I might want to get something to eat, which i did. She said she could hook me up with a box lunch, but the only way she's seen someone eat on is if they'd just had a baby. I guess they were pretty bad.
During the first couple of hours lisa had the antibiotic for the strep and once that was administered we spent more time pacing the halls and trying to get some progression.
Once they broke her water the birthing ball was the main mode of entertainment. Lisa was hoping for one with a handle on it, but that version was not available so she just hopped in place.
Lisa did read a lot of voodoo books and decided to have the baby naturally and she did great. My job was to massage her back until my arm fell off and talk softly and nicely and remind her to relax. So that's what I did. Honestly I was clueless, but she said I was really helpful. :)
Lisa progressed to about a 7 and then we had another talk with midwife jen. Lisa decided to have pitocin to help move things along. That's when the contractions really started to hurt and that's when my arm started to hurt and my hand/wrist got carpal tunnel. It was amazing.
She progressed nicely, but there was one disappointment. The 15 year rookie nurse (she was just transferring back to labor and delivery) checked lisa and said she was a 9+ so she she called midwife jen and when she came in she checked and lisa was only an 8 or so and 80%. So it was pretty disappointing for Lisa.
The rest of the delivery was as predicted. Lisa lied their quietly....except when she mooed a little. But it was a quiet moo. Meanwhile I'm talking quietly (quite an accomplishment), shoving my hand through her back, laying my head on the bed in any breaks.
At the end midwife Jen had lisa push slowly between contractions to help baby mack come slowly but lisa wasn't having it. She pushed as fast as possible. Lisa said at the end she couldn't even remember she was having a baby. I yelled at her right at the end to get a breath and push because she was so tired and the baby was only out half way.
Mack was born and came out cute as can be. He's a healthy baby and lisa is cute too :).
The only real funny thing that went on was in the bathroom there was a poster about managing pain. Lisa did great at that. I realized I'm pretty good at it too....because of some of the suggestions. 1. Watch TV. I can do that.
Nurses were great, as always, and midwife Jen was amazing as well.
| This is what I looked like through some of the laboring process-trying to relax using the Bradley Method. |
| Proud Daddy and Labor Coach Extraordinaire-Keith. My Hero! |
| Mom and Baby's first picture. It was a lot of work and I thought I was going to die-but I NOW very grateful for my natural labor experience. |
| I could not believe that I actually did it! |
| Mack Lee getting his very first tubby. |
| Family of SIX!! This picture cracks me right up. You can't even see Mack. |
| That is a lot of kids!! |
| Leo is not so sure about this new baby. |
| What a sweetie. |
| Our Baby Leo holding Baby Mack. |
2 comments:
I love everything about his post! Congratulations on your new little one, he is so darling!!! (Not surprisingly :) I can't wait to meet him! :)
You AMAZE me, Lisa! And good job, Keith! Paul usually is close to passing out by the time it's ready for me to push because he can't stand hospitals and blood and gross stuff!! He is such a cutie - Congrats!!
Post a Comment