The above picture is Benson laying on the ultrasound table learning that he needs surgery. His eyes look like they might pop out of his head. I feel like this has been his first real experience with the scary world. I am so grateful that when he had to learn the truth that the world isn't perfect and bad things happen sometimes, that I got to be by his side through it all. And, that he was by my side through it all. Even though last week was hard, it was a sacred time with my Benson and I.And here are some more pictures, these were taken on my phone and are mostly happy. Hopefully they won't be as depressing as the other pictures! Here is Benson and his dad snuggling before surgery.
Benson asked if he could have the basketball hoop in his room. Griffin played it like a wild man when he came to visit.
Outside on a walk. We got lots of sympathy looks when we did this. And I would like to say, that I think all nurses are going to heaven. They are amazing.
The first few days Benson needed oxygen often, especially when he would sleep. We got pretty used to his penguin friend. In fact, we loved him because if he wasn't on, his stupid machines were beeping.
If you ever have to deal with a sick child in the hospital, stuffed animals are the best gift. My kids never play with stuffed animals, but they seemed to bring Benson so much comfort in the hospital. We had to bring them every place we went.
When we first got to the hospital, the Dr. used the word "Peds." Benson thought he said pizza. He asked for cheese pizza the whole time we were there. Because his recovery went so smoothly, he was able to eat real food on Thursday (he had surgery on Monday). He requested cheese pizza. He didn't eat very much, but he was pretty excited.
Benson (and Griffin) got a bunch of new things while Benson was in the hospital. New jammies, new undies, toys, stuffed animals, books, puzzles, you name it. Since being home, we have gotten even more. We have SEVERAL cakes, cookies, candies etc. We even got a GIANT pumpkin. People really are so wonderful and kind and generous. Benson loves having visitors now that we are home and immediately shows them his "surgery owies." He is doing SO GOOD! My biggest fear now is that he will hurt himself overdoing it or running around. He is supposed to avoid P.E. type activities for two weeks. I think we will be lucky if we can do that for a week. Especially with that crazy brother of his. Oh yeah, and Baby Leo has also become freakishly mobile too.


Now we just have to fatten our little guy up. You can see just about every bone in his body, it is a little bit scary. He lost a few pounds and didn't really have any to lose! Good thing we have lots of cookies and cakes laying around.

1 comment:
I am so glad you guys are doing well and that Benson is almost fully recovered. What an ordeal! I was actually freaking out...just a little...yesterday at church as my daughter was saying her side hurt and she was dry heaving throughout sacrament. I thought of you and Benson, and thought, oh I hope it's not her Appendix. But then her primary teacher told me she was passing gas in class...I laughed out loud and was glad it wasn't anything more serious.
I hope Benson and your family have a good week and I hope he feels 100% soon!
Post a Comment